The Visian™ Phakic IOL is used to treat moderate to severe myopia, the medical term for near-sightedness. Results prove that the Visian™ Phakic IOL is safe and effective for highly near-sighted people who are tired of thick glasses and are not candidates for LASIK eye surgery.
The Visian™ Phakic IOL
The Visian™ Phakic IOL is made with Swiss precision from Collamer®. This unique material contains a small amount of collagen, which provides excellent biocompatibility and superior optical capability. The lens is gently folded and placed between the iris and the natural lens.
The Visian™ Procedure
The procedure involves placing the Visian™ Phakic IOL behind your cornea between your iris and the natural lens of your eye. This gives your eye another focusing lens that provides high-quality, high-definition vision like a normal eye. Although the Visian™ Phakic IOL is intended to be permanent, the procedure is reversible if desired.
The word "phakic" means that your natural crystalline lens is left in the eye. This is important because your natural lens plays an important role in helping your eye adjust between seeing objects that are near and far.
Implanting the Visian™ Phakic IOL is an outpatient procedure that takes around 15 to 30 minutes. Usually, one eye is treated at a time.
- For better access to your eye, your doctor will use an instrument to comfortably hold your eyelids open during the procedure.
- A local anaesthetic is given to sedate the eye, so the procedure is virtually painless.
- A small incision is made in the cornea. This allows the Visian™ Phakic IOL to be placed in the space between the iris and the natural lens.
- The Visian™ Phakic IOL is centred in the pupil (the black part in the centre of your eye)centred and is gently settled between the iris (the colored part of your eye) and the natural lens.
- The small incision is closed with microscopic stitches that dissolve on their own.
- A temporary shield will be placed over your eye to protect it during the time just after the procedure.
- Watch Cataract Video to know more.